Tuesday, November 22, 2005

Inside My Students' Brains

In my first hour English 10 class today, I asked my students to take ten minutes to reflect upon the class. I asked them to write down what they liked, what they wanted to see more of, and what they wanted to reduce. I gave them no additional prompts. Even though we've only used the blog twice in this class, so it's still relatively new to them, many students commented that they loved the blog and wanted more homework assignments to revolve around the blog. Unfortunately, I failed to push them to explain why, but I'll come back to this after Thanksgiving. I also asked my students how they viewed grades, learning, and motivation. I haven't had time to read their responses yet, but I'll be sure to share them with the blog. Until then, we'll wait anxiously in suspense! You may have noticed that one of my Honors students discovered the Fischbowl on her own and shared her views on grades; I find her perspective quite helpful and revealing.

3 Comments:

Blogger Karl Fisch said...

The suspense is killing me . . .

It will be interesting to see what they say about why they liked the blog, as well as their thoughts on grades and motivation. I also see how you posted a prompt for one of your other classes based on a class discussion - I think that's great - extending what must have been a good in-class discussion into the blog. I think that's one of the powerful thing about blogs - it allows you to continue those conversations that were so wonderful in class but you simply ran out of time.

I commented on your student's personal blog to thank her for contributing to our discussion and to encourage her to continue - that we really valued (and needed) her perspective.

7:57 PM  
Blogger Barbara S. said...

I too am excited to hear what your students think about grades, motivation, etc. Good for you for asking!!! I also am pleased that the "random student" has been posting on our blogs! Keep up the good work...

3:57 PM  
Blogger Hatak said...

I think that these conversations are very important to have with students. Their feedback is necessary to see that they value what we are trying to do. I like to hear from the knids what they think of a course.

I asked them the same things but included academic dishonesty in the discussion.

11:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home