Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Goals (finally!)

Many of my blog entries revolve around my teaching goals, but I thought I'd narrow my focus and delineate my most important reflections (as per Karl's request).

1. Goal: Emphasize that the course revolves around students, not around the teacher or the literature.
Action plan: Continue activities where students create questions and activities--let their interests drive class discussion; refrain from giving out "right answers" or even personal opinions unless asked. Be the facilitator.

2. Goal: Keep class new; maintain a class routine that's comfortable but not predictable.
Action plan: Use the blog when needed, but don't exhaust it. Vary class structure between whole class discussion, small groups, partner work, and individual work. Use different media--art, music, film, dramatic activities, etc.

3. Goal: Prepare students to be innovative and adaptable so that they can partake in the competitive global economy. The world is flat, baby.
Action plan: Give each student a copy of Friedman's book. Seriously though, I don't know how to do this. Hopefully 21C class today will help.

3 Comments:

Blogger Karl Fisch said...

Hmm, every student a copy of the book? Maybe we should ask PTO . . .

In the meantime, maybe you can give them some photocopied excerpts that you think are particularly relevant or interesting to them?

Or direct them to the transcript of this interview, or this video from a presentation at MIT.

9:47 AM  
Blogger MollyG said...

That stunt you pulled today, freaking brilliant.

9:34 PM  
Blogger Kurt W. said...

This would be a genious idea. Friedman's book is a wonderful view of today's world. I enjoyed it a ton, but I can't help thinking that perhaps some of the issues Friedman deals with would go over a few students heads? Even so, this would be an excellent gift.

P.S. Hope you don't mind me commenting here, Ms. Kakos.

3:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home