Wednesday, February 01, 2006

A Metablogical Post

I don't know if anyone else has noticed, but blogger has definitely been drawing in more and more students...even ones who don't take classes that require blogging. When I introduced my class to the blog this semester, nearly all of them already had an account. Last semester most of my students had blank personal blogs, but this semester many of them have started posting their writing. Reading their philosophies and their fiction has impressed and humbled me...it's also helped me get to know them. I used to hold my students at quite a distance, but so much of what we've been implementing from technology team has allowed/forced me to remember that my students actually exist outside of school. They're almost like people that way.

Anyway, I do think that the better I know my students, the better teacher I'll be. My boyfriend, who also teaches high school English, often peaks over my shoulder as I'm reading my students' blog comments--he's fascinated by how comfortable with each other we've all become on the blog (he's also waiting somewhat impatiently for his turn to use the computer). I've discovered that my students are funny, talented, sweet, obnoxious, and opinionated, and that they can use their powers for good or evil. Mostly good, though.

7 Comments:

Blogger Barbara S. said...

Cool!!!

6:41 PM  
Blogger Karl Fisch said...

So why do you think blogging is drawing in more and more students?

Isn't it funny, the old joke is about a student seeing their teacher in the grocery store and being amazed they weren't at school. Yet we often think of students in the same way . . .

And the $64 question - does the boyfriend blog with his classes? I'll refrain from any rude remarks about "peak" . . .

8:21 PM  
Blogger Kristin L said...

KARLOS!!!!!!!

No, he doesn't blog. He has this whole anti-technology-conspiracy theory-Big Brother is watching thing going on. It's a long story.

8:29 PM  
Blogger Karl Fisch said...

Hmm, maybe you can encourage him by having him comment on your blog - or your students.

9:42 AM  
Blogger annes said...

The increased use of blogs is exciting but I worry at times (we have had this discussion) that it will be overused and lose its allstar quality.

2:41 PM  
Blogger danak said...

I think the reason blogging is drawing in more students is because of a few different reasons.

1. It is all disscusion-based learning, which is the most fun part of class
2. In most classes, we don't get to hear each other's personal opinions, which is always fun. We learn about each other as much as you learn about us.
3. It's easy. You just type what you think. It doesn't require paper or a pen, so it's not a huge effort to get involved.

You should ask your boyfriend if he wants to blog. We'd like to meet him! (You know, see if he's good enough for you.)

5:40 PM  
Blogger Kurt W. said...

I definitely agree with the comments of the above poster. Those reasons are very true. The other reason that students enjoy blogging is because it brings a sense of anonymity with it. Students can voice their opinion without others looking at them (and as people always inevitably think, judging them). If a person can voice their opinion without someone immediately replying an/or debating the post, what is holding them back? Nothing. And that is why students, even the quieter ones, enjoy blogging.

Or at least, those are my two cents. But what do I know? After all, I;m just one of those darn opinionated students.

8:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home