Monday, April 17, 2006

The End

As I watched my fourth hour fill out their schedules for next year, I felt sadder than usual at the prospect of not being their teacher again (they're Honors, and I don't teach any classes above American Lit). I think I feel more attached to my students this year because I've taken more risks with them and made myself a little more vulnerable than usual. It's been a long road from teaching in Manhattan, where seasoned teachers warn you not to smile or let down your guard in the first three months of class. I think about how unsteady I felt with my sophomores for the first six weeks of first semester, and the thought of starting over with several classes of strangers next year is daunting.

This year my students have seemed more like actual humans to me...in past years certain students might as well have been 2-dimensional cutouts because the only things I knew about them was how often they turned in their homework and how proficient they were in reading and writing. When I look at them this year, however, I can see little pieces of the adults they're becoming. And I'm excited for their futures, even if I no longer play a part.

4 Comments:

Blogger Karl Fisch said...

I wonder if they feel the same way?

I think you're wrong about one thing, though - I think you still do play a part in their futures. You need to give yourself a little credit . . .

As far as starting next year with a new set of students being daunting, I understand that feeling (both from past experience with high school students, and also currently with 32 additional teacher starting 21c next August). But maybe you (and I) need to look at it differently. You made some major changes during the school year this year that - for the most part - I think you'd agree were successful. Imagine how great it's going to be next year when you can start from the very beginning of the year with some of the ideas we've been talking about (and you've been implementing).

3:25 PM  
Blogger shamitap said...

Mr. Fisch, you are absolutely correct. I feel like I'm losing a major part of my academic life by leaving Ms. Kakos becuase her Honors American Literature class has been an experience like no other. There are so many things I will take from this class into my future and so many things I've learned this year that I can apply to the life I will live. I feel very fortunate to have had that experience this year. Ms. Kakos--you are and always will be an inspiration to your students.

9:52 PM  
Blogger Ashley M said...

I totally agree with Shamita on this one. I don't even know how to express how much I've always enjoyed and looked forward to your class. I feel like I am losing a huge piece of something, not ever being able to have you as a teacher again. I just wanted to let you know how much this year has helped me as a studnet and a person. Thank you Ms. Kakos.

4:57 PM  
Blogger danak said...

Of course we feel the same way about you! There are the teachers who resemble the teacher in the Charlie Brown cartoons, and then there are the ones who make new and exciting projects that challenge us and make us pumped to come into class. You are definately the latter. And you will still play a part in our future, too. We will still come to see you and ask you to write recommendation letters for college for us and smile and wave at graduation. You've still got a role, so don't give up just yet!

6:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home