Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Digital Down to the Bones

I found a website dedicated to "technological poetry," a concept that seems almost paradoxical to me. What does technology have to do with the soul, I wonder? Here is the website's motto:

"This is a place for poetry and fiction born to pixels rather than the page--writing that's digital down to its bones. Art is the technology of the soul."

I just posted it to my 1st hour English 10 class because they're currently studying in poetry, and I'm eager to see how they'll react. If you have a few minutes and would like to play with this interactive poetry website, I'd love some feedback. Here's the address and the poems that I found particularly intriguing:
http://www.wordcircuits.com/gallery/index.html

Be sure to check out the links to the following three poems (you'll need a computer with sound):1. "Xylo" (Peter Howard)2. "Stained Word Window" (Deena Larsen)3. "The Dancing Rhinoceri of Bangladesh" (Millie Niss)

5 Comments:

Blogger Karl Fisch said...

Very interesting site. I think this is a very good example of how communication is changing due to technology. Writing as a tool for communication and as an art form has been changing since the age of hieroglyphics - with new technologies (alphabets, paper, printing press, etc.) always influencing both the delivery method and the writing itself. I think humans will always seize upon new tools to try to get their message - and their art - across.

What does technology have to do with the soul? You might as well ask what does painting, or speech, or dancing, or writing, or music have to with the soul? Technology is just another way for humans to express themselves.

10:48 AM  
Blogger danak said...

That is so cool! I really like Xylo and I agree with Mr. Fisch that this is an example of how we can use technology in almost anything. In Xylo, the music and the flickering words added to the mood and the overall effect the poem had.

6:34 PM  
Blogger Ashley M said...

Ms. Kakos,
I remember that I told you the other day that I don't like to type up my poetry because I feel it loses all the emotion that I had put into it. This type of poetry totally goes against that view of mine. I almost feel that there is more emotion, especially in "Xylo" and "The Dancing Rhinoceri of Bangladesh." I wish that someday I could figure out how to do this, but until then I'll just stick to my little pink poetry book.
~Ashley

7:06 PM  
Blogger shamitap said...

I took a look at the website again--and just looking at how they said that was poetry kept forcing me to redefine the word "poetry". We've been doing a lot of that in class lately--redefining--haven't we? Redefining the meaning of success, and phony, and independence, and happiness. It just goes to show that just about everything out there is opinion based! It's so cool!

10:07 PM  
Blogger Michelle S said...

What a neat way to write! I personally feel writing has more passion on paper, but I can understand why people would choose this method as an alternative.

5:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home